|Second training for civil society organizations participating in the preparation of the Shadow Report on Children’s Rights In the period between July 28th to 30th, 2009 in the Info Center of the European Union in Skopje, organized was the second training in the area of children's rights and monitoring of children's rights entitled Process of preparation of the Shadow Report and reporting to the bodies of the United Nations, targeting civil society organizations that are part of the National Coalition of civil society organizations for protection of children’s rights and that participate in the preparation of the Shadow Report towards the Convention on Children’s Rights of the UN. |
21 participants from 13 civil society organizations attended the training, including: the Center for Civic Initiatives-Prilep, Porta - Strumica, Council for Prevention of Juvenile Delinquency - Kavadarci, HU Mother from Kumanovo, Phurt – Delcevo, Open the windows - Skopje, La Strada - Skopje, Association for Democratic Initiative - Gostivar, Youth Education Forum - Skopje, Shelter Center - Skopje, Polioplus – Skopje, Mesechina - Gostivar, Coalition Macedonia Without Discrimination and the First Children's Embassy in the world Megjashi - Skopje.
The training included series of interactive workshops, during which participants through personal experiences adopted basic knowledge about the process of preparation of shadow reports and agreed on the methodology of reporting on the state of children's rights in Macedonia.
The objectives of the training were:
- Strengthening the capacity of the civil society organizations in monitoring the implementation of the Convention on Children’s Rights of the UN, Optional Protocols and other international instruments relevant to protection of the children’s rights;
- Initial agreement on the process of preparation of the Shadow Report / Alternative report on the state of children's rights in the country, as a process of researching by the civil society organizations, their experiences and results of researches;
- Strengthening of cooperation between the civil society organizations in monitoring children's rights;
- Strengthening the role of children in monitoring children’s rights, as well as strengthening the process of children's participation;
- Strengthening the role of the civil society organizations for protection of children's rights as partners in society, contributing to a better system of child protection and monitoring of children's rights in respect to the effectiveness of government policies, laws and practices, in favor of better life for children in Macedonia;
The group was cooperative, with a high degree of participation and willingness to work on issues of children's rights, particularly the monitoring of children's rights, as well as preparation of the shadow report by the civil society organizations.
Trainers were: Jasminka Friscic - Executive Director of the Association for Emancipation, Solidarity and Equality of Women in Macedonia-ESE, regarding presentation of the processes of preparation and reporting regarding the Convention for Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women, 2006 and the Convention on Torture, 2008; Gordana Pirkovska Zmijanac (Program Manager and Founder of the First Children's Embassy in the World Megjashi) and Dragi Zmijanac (Executive Director and Founder of the First Children's Embassy in the World Megjashi).
This training is part of the continuous activities of the project Building a culture of children's participation, financially supported by the European Commission as part of the program for European Instrument for Democracy and Human Rights - (EIDHR), and co-funded by UNICEF.